Senior Concierge Blog

The purpose of this blog is to explain the Senior Concierge profession and to provide on-going assistance to senior concierge professionals with tips and tools for their business, and information from the field about the day and the life of a senior concierge. Enjoy! Rachel Laws Senior Concierge

Sunday, December 21, 2014

Falls-Helping to Protect Seniors from Falls

I tell my husband all the time, if it's time for me to use a walker, just tell me.  When I tell you to use a walker, please don't fight with me about this request.  Can we just agree in advance that this will not be an issue in the future?

A recent NY Times Article discusses the need for walkers.  Seniors unfortunately don't recognize their need for one.  What is the point at which a walker will become necessary?  How will we know when we're there?  

One problem is that the current walkers on the market don't totally protect you completely from falling but they do really help.  If you're wobbly they can be really helpful and potentially keep you from a lot of potential pain from a fall.  

Senior Concierge professionals can't make our clients use them only medical professionals should be making those recommendations.  However, we should always be on the lookout for potential trip hazards in their home or when we are out with our clients. I know it must be irritating but I point out every crack in the sidewalk, and every item on the ground that they may not see.  The last thing I would ever want is someone to fall when we're together.

This technology will be cool when it's on the market.  Senior Air Bags.  

No comments:

Post a Comment